Merkopolo : a simple yet powerful starter kit for your Qt/C++ GIS application
Recently, while the whole world looks completely hyped up with Web applications,
we chose to design and develop a desktop software in Qt/C++.
Obviously, the choice was measured and justified ! We had to build a specific GIS application
with complex interactions and huge amounts of data, for a limited number of users.
C++ brings the power, Qt offers cross-platform and the compassion towards developers, and Merkaartor a lovely GIS flavour !
We contributed to Merkaartor to give gits components a little bit of genericity, and
released Merkopolo, a Qt project
skeleton to handle dependencies and inclusion of base components.
Here is what you immediately get once compiled :
Now you can start coding serious stuff on top, with the Merkaartor components stack :
- Complete feature model with free attributes (tags)
- Custom drawing styles
- A variety of layers types (Tiles, WMS, Spatialite, GeoTIFF, GDAL...)
- Base classes for mouse interactions on map objects
- A projection system (libproj)
- And even draw geometries from PostGIS database !